Sandy Bay acts as the beautiful backdrop for Front Beach, the perfect spot for all the swimmers and sunbathers in your group. When you’re finished with your day at the beach, restaurants and shops are just steps away. There are also many inns and B&Bs nearby providing beachside accommodations.
- Paid on-street parking is available adjacent to Front Beach, and long-term parking is available in a privately operated lot across the street. In July and August, the CATA Park & Ride (Blue Gate Lane off Route 127) provides free parking and a daily trolley shuttle ($1 per person) directly to downtown Rockport and Front Beach.
- Route 127A, Main Street to Beach Street, Downtown Rockport
Home to one of the best scuba diving areas in the region. Dive in and discover the submerged world beneath the ocean. This sandy and rocky beach is perfect for divers, swimmers, and walkers. On summer Sunday evenings, the Rockport Legion Band performs free outdoor concerts at the bandstand located just across the street from Back Beach.
- Paid on-street parking is available along the entire extent of Back Beach.
- Route 127A, Beach Street in Downtown Rockport
Old Garden Beach
This small sand and popplestone beach is a favorite among families with small children. An adjacent municipal park offers a beautiful view over Sandy Bay and grassy areas for picnics with friends and family. Old Garden is another favorite location for divers. The small beach parking area is restricted to those with resident parking stickers.
- Please observe posted parking restrictions. Old Garden Road and adjacent side streets are restricted to resident-only parking on weekends and holidays. Limited on-street parking is available nearby.
- Old Garden Road, Rockport
Water-smoothed popplestones and pebbles blanket this picturesque crescent beach. Search among the rocks for shells or bring your binoculars to capture views of Cape Ann’s sea-loving birds and the Boston skyline to the southwest. There is a rocky reef just offshore where divers enjoy the underwater life at 20- to 30-foot depths.
- Limited parking is available on Penzance Road adjacent to the beach. Please observe posted parking restrictions.
- Penzance Road, Rockport
Cape Hedge Beach
This is a secluded stretch of rocky beach separated from Long Beach by a short, seasonal foot bridge. Smooth sand is minimal at high tide. A quiet oasis, Cape Hedge Beach is located about 2½ miles from Rockport’s shops and restaurants.
- Very limited non-resident parking is available along South Street. Please observe posted parking restrictions. The Cape Hedge and Long Beach parking lot is restricted to residents only. Please observe posted parking restrictions.
- South Street, Rockport
About a mile in length and lined with quaint New England beach houses, Long Beach offers one of the best views of Thacher Island’s twin lighthouses. Investigate the tidal pools, enjoy a casual stroll or jog, and soak in the sun. Enjoy the day at Long Beach and then head into town for a fresh lobster dinner.
- Parking is available in a private, seasonally operated lot, accessible from Rockport Road, off Route 127A in Gloucester. The Cape Hedge and Long Beach parking lot is restricted to residents only.
- Route 127A (Thatcher Road to Rockport Road)
No smoking of any type allowed on any of the Rockport beaches.