The White-Ellery House open for tours during 17th Century Saturdays:
June 7, July 5, September 6, and October 4 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Cape Ann Museum is pleased to announce that the White-Ellery House, a rarely-shown First Period structure built in 1709 on Gloucester’s historic Town Green (now the Grant Circle rotary) and moved to its present location at 244 Washington Street, will be open for guided tours as part of 17th Century Saturdays, an Escapes North program.
On June 7th between 11:00 a.m and 3:00 p.m. admission to the house is free.
The White-Ellery House is one of a handful of surviving First Period buildings in Massachusetts. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites because of its design, materials, and workmanship, and its plank frame construction.
The house was built for the Reverend John White, Gloucester’s first settled minister, and exhibits an elegance and refinement commensurate with White’s esteemed position in the community. The second owner of the house was James Stevens, who kept it as a tavern until 1740, at which time it was sold to the Ellery family. In 1949, when plans were unveiled showing Route 128 traversing the Town Green, the house was taken by the City of Gloucester by eminent domain, turned over to the Cape Ann Historical Association, and moved safely out of the path of the highway.
On July 5, September 6 and October 4, tours of the house are free with the price of admission to the Museum.
The Cape Ann Museum is located at 27 Pleasant Street in Gloucester. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sundays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Museum is closed during the month of February, on Mondays, and on major holidays. Admission is $8.00 adults, $6.00 Cape Ann residents and seniors, $4.50 students. Children under 12 and Museum members are free. The Museum is wheelchair accessible. For more information please call: (978) 283-0455. Additional information can be found online at www.capeannmuseum.org.