White-Ellery House Open for Tours

Website: Go to site
Start Date: Sep 5 2009
Location: White-Ellery House



Contemporary Art at the White-Ellery House: Chris Williams

September 5 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

The Cape Ann Museum is pleased to announce that the White-Ellery House, a First Period structure built in 1710 on Gloucester’s historic Town Green (now the Grant Circle rotary) and moved to its present location at 245 Washington Street, will be open for guided tours as part of 17th Century Saturdays, an Escapes North program. These programs are free and open to the public.

New this year is a series of one-day contemporary art installations presented at the White-Ellery House in conjunction with each of the opening days. The artist Chris Williams will be featured on September 5.

Chris Williams, based in Essex, MA, has been creating large metal commercial and residential sculpture for over a decade. His work has been exhibited at L’Attitude Gallery in Boston, MA; Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA; New Hampshire International Airport in Manchester, NH; as well as at galleries in New York, Arizona, New Mexico, Maine, and Massachusetts. His public sculpture can be found at the New Hampshire Regional Airport in Manchester, NH; New England Biolabs in Ipswich, MA; LAT 43 Restaurant in Gloucester, MA; Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo, NY; and at Bridgewater State College among other places.

The White-Ellery House is one of a handful of surviving First Period buildings in Massachusetts. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites because of its design, materials, and workmanship, and its plank frame construction. Recent stabilization work of the roof and clapboard siding was completed this spring.

The house was built for the Reverend John White, Gloucester’s first settled minister, and exhibits an elegance and refinement commensurate with White’s esteemed position in the community. The second owner of the house was James Stevens, who kept it as a tavern until 1740, at which time it was sold to the Ellery family. In 1949, the house was taken by the City of Gloucester by eminent domain, turned over to the Cape Ann Historical Association, and moved safely out of the path of the highway.

Funding for these programs was made possible through a grant from the Massachusetts Cultural Council, which promotes excellence, access, education and diversity in the arts, humanities and interpretive sciences, in order to improve the quality of life for all Massachusetts residents and to contribute to the economic vitality of our communities.

The Cape Ann Museum is located at 27 Pleasant Street in Gloucester. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sundays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Museum is closed during the month of February, on Mondays, and on major holidays. Admission is $8.00 adults, $6.00 Cape Ann residents and seniors, $4.50 students. Children under 12 and Museum members are free. The Museum is wheelchair accessible. For more information please call: (978) 283-0455. Additional information can be found online at www.capeannmuseum.org.